BOOKING YOUR TRIP
1.How many passengers are allowed on the boat trip?
Our license is regulated by the United States Coast Guard, and we are permitted to take up to six passengers per boat. If you have more than six persons in your party, you may want to consider hiring more than one boat.
PREPARATION FOR THE TRIP
2. Do I need a saltwater fishing license?
No, you are covered under my charter boat’s fishing license, and nothing further is needed.
3. What happens if it is raining on the day of my trip?
We do go out rain or shine, and weather conditions are in the captain’s discretion. All of our boats are equipped with sophisticated weather radar equipment, and the decision to cancel will be made at the time of the trip. You should plan on showing up for your trip, even if you are sure it will be cancelled, because there are times when the weather is much different on the water than it is on shore. That said, we will cancel a trip for heavy rain. If we do have to cancel your trip due to weather, we will reschedule it at a mutually agreeable time as soon as possible.
4. What should I bring for my trip?
Here are some suggestions: sweatshirts, rain gear, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, camera, food, beverages, and a cooler for your take-home fillets.
5. Can we bring alcohol onboard the boat?
Yes. Glass containers are discouraged. If any passenger becomes overly drunk or rowdy, the captain has the discretion to cancel the trip and immediately return to the dock. No refunds will be given under these circumstances.
6. Do I need to bring fishing gear or bait?
No, we provide high quality fishing gear, and fresh or live bait.
7. How do I dress for the trip?
Weather on the water is different than shore weather, and often significantly cooler. You should dress in layers, and have a waterproof jacket and shoes. A good rule of thumb is to expect the temperature to be 20 degrees cooler than what is forecast for land, and to anticipate possible rain on any trip.
8. Do I tip the mate or captain?
It is customary to tip the mate 20% for a job well-done. If no mate was available for your trip, the captain performs the mate’s duties (in addition to piloting the boat and finding the fish), and in that case, it is appropriate to give the captain the 20% gratuity that would have gone to the mate.
THE DAY OF YOUR TRIP
9.Where do we leave from?
Our boats depart from Bay Pointe Marina at 64 Washington Court in Quincy, Massachusetts. The boat is closest to the first white gazebo. We will also pick up from certain docks in Boston and Winthrop for an additional fee.
10. When should arrive at the dock for our trip?
You should arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to your agreed upon departure time.
DURING YOUR TRIP
11. Is there a real bathroom onboard the boat?
All boats are equipped with a fully functioning “head,” or marine toilet and bathroom.
12. When do we return to the dock?
It depends on the length of the trip that you booked. If you booked a four-hour trip, you will return to the dock four hours after your agreed-upon departure time (the same is true for six or eight hour trips). This holds true even if you arrive late for your agreed-upon departure time, as we generally have trips booked back-to-back.
13. Can I keep my fish, and do you clean it?
Yes, you can keep your catch. Yes, we will expertly fillet your fish for you, or otherwise dress them however you wish. You will receive your cleaned and filleted catch in sealed zip lock bags, which can be frozen or cooked immediately.
AFTER YOUR TRIP
14. When and how can I see and share the photos of my trip and my catch?
The photos of your catch will be displayed on the photo gallery of the Ave Maria Charters Website shortly after your trip, and usually the same day.
15. What can I do with my cleaned catch?
Striper fillets are a rare delicacy that are only available in restaurants and supermarkets for a few weeks each year. Striper meat is usually sold for approximately $20.00 per pound when it is in season and legally permissible to do so. I would suggest grilling your catch while it is still in its super-fresh state just after your trip. There are many delicious recipes online. If you are from out of town, we can recommend a local restaurant that will gladly cook your catch to order for you on the spot, which is a great way to end your excursion. Striper fillets also freeze excellently for enjoyment later.
Cancellation and No-Show Policy
- Any trip cancellation made by the Captain for mechanical or weather related issues will receive a 100% refund.
- Any trip cancellation made prior to fourteen (14) days before the scheduled trip will receive a 100% refund of the deposit. Cancellations must be made in writing via text or email.
- Customers who cancel less than fourteen (14) days before the scheduled trip will forfeit the entire deposit. We will try to reschedule you if or when possible.
- Clients who do not show up for their trip (“No Shows”), will be responsible to pay for the full amount of the scheduled trip and the 20% gratuity to the mate.